LEED provides a complete framework for assessing building performance and meeting sustainability goals. Based on well-founded scientific standards, LEED emphasizes state of the art strategies for sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. LEED recognizes achievements and promotes expertise in green building through a comprehensive system offering project certification, professional accreditation, training and practical resources.
LEED was created to:
· define "green building" by establishing a common standard of measurement
· promote integrated, whole-building design practices
· recognize environmental leadership in the building industry
· stimulate green competition
· raise consumer awareness of green building benefits
· transform the building market